If there’s one thing Mom and Dad have always been good/annoying about teaching us, it’s following through on your promises.
Kristin promised to move out. Then she totally backed out and moved back in. And what did Mom and Dad do? Sit there and let it happen like Kristin had never decided to move out and give me the big room, which she totally did despite Eve plotting her move as well. All I’ve taken away from this incident is that you’re only as good as your word -- if you feel like it. And I don’t.
In that spirit, I now officially promise to:
• Get straight A's next semester
• Fess up to that scratch on the passenger-side door of Dad's truck if he ever notices it
• Always make this new 10pm curfew which I also totally don't think is unbelievably unfair for someone over the age of 16
• Only use the panic room for panicking
• Read the newspaper, watch the news all the time and make observations like, “Oh, I see the Congress did a Congressy thing today.”
• Spend at least 25% of my money on things other than clothes. (OK, you know what? It feels icky to say that even in jest. So scratch that.)
• Never dance on a table
It’s fun to promise things without ever intending to follow through on them. I’m glad I learned such a great lesson while I was cooped up in this tiny cell known as “Not the Big Room” in the Baxter house!
I just hope that it’s all worth it for Kristin. I hope she truly appreciates being the crusher of dreams and happiness. It’s not just for dads anymore.