4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 Tbsp. olive oil
½ onion, finely chopped
3 stalks celery, sliced thin
1 cup baby carrots, sliced thin
½ cup frozen green peas
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped or 1 Tbsp. dried
1 tsp. fresh thyme or ½ tsp. dried
2 Tbsp. no Trans fat margarine
2 Tbsp. flour
1 ½ cups reduced sodium, organic chicken broth
½ cup fat free half-and-half
1 cup low fat Bisquick mix
½ cup milk or buttermilk
½ tsp. sea salt and fresh pepper
1. Place chicken breast halves in saute pan and cover with water. Place over medium heat, uncovered, and cook for 10-12 minutes until chicken is poached and cooked through. Remove from water and set aside to cool.
2. Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrots, saute for 4-5 minutes until carrots are just tender.
3. Remove from heat and add frozen peas, salt and pepper, parsley and thyme. 4. Cut cooled chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and add to vegetable mixture. Set aside.
5. In small saucepan, heat margarine until melted, add flour and stir well forming a paste. Add chicken broth and fat free half-and-half. Continue whisking over medium heat until just starting to thicken. Add to chicken-vegetable mixture and return to low heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
6. In small bowl combine Bisquick mix with milk with fork until just mixed. Drop rounded tablespoons of dough on top of chicken-vegetable mixture and cover and continue to simmer for another 7-8 minutes, just until dumpling is done.
7. Serve in bowls, garnish with a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
Calories per serving: 425
Calorie equivalent: 4 oz. protein, 2 vegetables, 2 carbohydrates, 1 fat
Recipe courtesy of California Health & Longevity Institute
Try out these Chicken and Dumpling Recipes from The Chew
Gwyneth Paltrow's Chicken and Dumplings
Curried Chicken and Dumplings